Wednesday, February 1, 2012

new-new?

I've been waking up pretty early these days, regardless of what time I close my eyes to sleep. Pretty early? My mind stirs and my eyes open around 4AM. I can't even fully fall back asleep--I stay in this weird in-between state of sleep and consciousness. Which leads to lucid dreaming...leads to some very lucid dreaming. My dreams have been pretty crazy lately, it's almost surprising to know that I'm completely (well, almost completely) in control of them. In the words of Holly Golightly, "the mind reels."

This morning I woke up with the need to do something different with my hair--it literally got me up out of bed as soon as I woke up from..half-sleep (I don't even know what to call it, lol). So, there I was in my bathroom at 8AM with a pair of my mom's old hairstyling scissors that I found in my box of hair-stuff under the sink. Kind of panicked, actually thinking I was gonna fuck it up really bad.

Ta-da! Here's my new look for the next few months! I think I did pretty well with those blunt blades, haha.

Last night, I went to the Walt Disney Concert Hall with my mom, little brother and Sean. Ma dukes was kind enough to treat us to a symphony (Symphony No. 7 by Gustav Mahler for The Mahler Project), conducted by Gustavo Dudamel. Can you believe that this guy is only 31?! Amazing. And from what I read in the program, he's been making a ton of changes regarding the LA Philharmonic as Music Director. While holding the same position in Sweden and Venezuela. On top of that, he's a family man. Truly inspiring! Anyway, the architecture of the place was so awesome! Sadly, it's against policy for any pictures to be taken so I couldn't really bust out with my phone (but, being the rebel he is, Sean snuck a few--maybe I'll upload his Instagram pictures). It was funny because my thirteen year old brother was totally dying of boredom in there, lol.


Anyway, I changed the name of the blog! 'La Belle Vie' was always a filler title until I could come up with one I really liked (I mean, come on, life is beautiful but it's not really of my taste). I don't even know why it took so long to even think about this name. I really want something that's just one word but, yeah, no luck in that department.

So, hi, hello. Welcome to Elephant in the Room. Why did I choose this name?

"Elephant in the room" is an English metaphorical idiom for an obvious truth that is being ignored or goes unaddressed. The idiomatic expression also applies to an obvious problem or risk no one wants to discuss.[1] It is based on the idea that an elephant in a room would be impossible to overlook; thus, people in the room who pretend the elephant is not there have chosen to avoid dealing with the looming big issue.  (via Wikipedia) 
I thought it was fitting. A lot of things that have occurred in my life had been treated this way, especially due to the culture I identify with. Not only that but I had to keep a lot of my own personality very hush-hush when around my parents or other family members--I think my experiences contributed a considerable amount to the reason why I'm seemingly very open about speaking my mind. I mean, I was known to say exactly what I thought in that exact moment. I'm not so blurty now though, thankfully. PLUS, I love elephants! They're my favorite animal!

I guess that's it for now. Oh, and HAPPY FEBRUARY/DILLA-UARY!

Expect a J-Dilla song every day of this month <3

& I'm not a big fan of Instagram but I came across the photo challenges for this month and decided to partake...on this. Since, you know, I don't have an iPhone. Should be fun and interesting (for me, at least).


HAPPY HUMPDAY.


;)

No comments: