Wednesday, January 9, 2013

hair


I never understood why the majority of females are so attached to their hair. It's obvious from the picture above (that's only during 2009 to 2012!) that I am very fickle with my own locks, and gathering from my many hair posts on this here blog you can tell that I am also very impatient with the process of growing it out. Now that I think about it, I guess it's because of the fact that my mom was studying cosmetology when I was younger. Growing up, I've had perms, pixie cuts, bobs, waves, streaks, highlights...I was my mom's living, breathing hair mannequin--maybe that shaped my hair-fickle ways. The fact that I have very thick and heavy hair probably added onto it as well; I'd often be plagued with massive headaches due to the weight of my hair, especially during hot weather. In any case, I have no hesitation when it comes to haircuts. If anything, it's a tendency if mine to cut my hair pixie-short after growing it out for a year or two. Honestly, it's a pretty exhilarating feeling! I absolutely love taking risks with my physical appearance.

I guess I'm more partial to short hair because long hair is most associated with feminine beauty. It's been a standard for centuries (which was why the Roaring Twenties were a shocking and rebellious time for women in regards to the length of their hair), and very evident in art from around the world. Even talking to my guy friends alone, it's apparent that most men prefer long hair on a woman and finds them more attractive. Short-haired women are perceived to be "edgy", "experimental" and "down". My thing is, why should my hair define my beauty? (We all know by now that I live to go against social norms.)

But, don't get me wrong, I love the perks of having long hair as well. I'm also very fascinated by its movements and versatility--who isn't fascinated by the fact that your hair alone can drastically change your appearance?

I decided that I'll be leaving my hair alone for a while to grow it out (possibly mermaid hair?). Besides...hair-pulling feels so much better when your locks go past your shoulders ;)

No comments: